Account Manager/Coffee Educator, Los Angeles
The Account Manager and Coffee Educator is a vital role within the Sightglass Wholesale coffee program, acting as the face of our brand and ensuring a high level of coffee quality through direct account support. Our Account Manager and Coffee Educators act as focal points for excitement and passion surrounding the world of contemporary specialty coffee, and are immensely valuable resources to Sightglass wholesale partners’ coffee programs. The Account Manager’s mission is to maintain positive relationships with our wholesale partners, keeping them happy, engaged and focused on presenting our coffee and brand to an excellent standard and inspire and lead wholesale partners, retail staff and colleagues towards a higher understanding and appreciation of coffee quality through an intrinsic passion for coffee education. This position reports to the Director of Wholesale.
- Associate’s degree, preferred (or equivalent combination of experience and education)
- 2 years of Specialty Coffee industry experience
- High level of barista skill including coffee preparation and customer service
- Demonstrated passion and enthusiasm for coffee
- Public speaking experience preferred
- Coffee education or training experience preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel, online search engines, email, Google docs & calendar management, as well as recognizable strengths in utilizing a variety of online database programs
- Must have a current and valid California driver’s license with good driving record
- Access to personal vehicle preferred but not required, mileage reimbursement is provided
- Ability to work full time, flexible hours predominantly but not exclusively between Monday and Friday
- Ability to take occasional overnight travel for specific account visits
- Must have the maturity to use discretion and diplomacy in all aspects of the job
Key Skills & Capabilities:
- Timely responses to emails, phone calls, and all other inquiries
- High level of verbal and written skill
- Clear and direct with day to day correspondence, as well as potentially challenging conversation.
- Comfortable with public speaking
- Excellent time management with individual and group schedules
- Efficient use of our shared office and training spaces
- Organized in management of shared documents, tasks and team projects
Attention to Detail
- Careful thought given to design and aesthetic presentation of all customer facing elements of our wholesale program. (collateral, coffees, educational material, cuppings and tastings, etc.)
- Meticulous approach to coffee brewing, tasting, sourcing
- Measured and thorough with QC, education and trainings, other team projects
- Comfortable and effective in leading and teaching peers and wholesale partners about coffee
- Ability to inspire and excite a passion for coffee in others
Education and Training:
- Maintain a high level of knowledge and understanding of our sourcing, roasting and brewing methods, seasonal coffee offerings, educational curriculum, and overall wholesale coffee program.
- Implement, audit and organize the standard Sightglass Education and Training curriculum for wholesale partner/public development.
- Write and peer review extended educational content for focus labs, supplementing our standard curriculum.
- Communicate both general and technical information in an enthusiastic and approachable manner that is easily absorbed by our audience, creating a sense of excitement around Sightglass, our products, and our methods.
- Provide follow up feedback for class participants and schedule visits to relevant accounts for further development.
- Work with other members of the support and service teams to maintain and schedule classes, labs, trainings, public and general events using a shared calendar and training space.
- Manage the organization, appearance and cleanliness of training space.
- Order and stock fresh supply of coffee for training and education purposes.
- Conduct periodic quality control exercises to assist with brewing recommendations for new coffees.
- Work closely with the Sales team to carefully take ownership of new accounts, and maintain healthy relationships with existing accounts.
- Participate in weekly wholesale team meetings and report basic account activity.
- Create and maintain daily, proper account records and activities in our CRM.
- Perform ongoing account visits on a weekly basis.
- Perform basic equipment maintenance and calibration (replacing gaskets, screens, burrs).
- Facilitate tech service for emergency and quarterly preventative maintenance using our 3rd party and in-house technical service resources.
- Conduct quarterly, comprehensive account reviews with each wholesale partner.
- Utilize our education curriculum for on-site trainings and professional development for baristas and other wholesale partner staff members.
- Organize and facilitate creative coffee-related events for the general public and specific wholesale accounts.
- Attend soft/grand openings and other major account events.
- Work with our Internal Wholesale Account Coordinator to identify at risk accounts who have stopped ordering or need assistance with emergency coffee orders.
- Provide basic sales support by assisting tastings, visits and occasional sales meetings.
- Provide expert advice and consultation on new menu offerings, recipes, in-house training, and overall coffee program development to wholesale accounts.